Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hamsters can't fly

You may or may not have already known, BUT I assure you hamsters can't fly. Yesterday our 3 year old, Steven, was playing with his hamster. I was supervising for the first 20 minutes but then I decided he was doing such a great job, I would go wipe down the counter tops. So I wiped them down, checked on Steven and Hank(hamster), wiped off table, checked on them. Justin enters house and spends sometime with them and he gets the paint supplies ready for our fence staining project. I clean the toilet, check on them, I am cleaning the sink and I hear "Mom, Hank just died." "What?" I queried. "Hank just shut his eyes and died," Steven responded. Justin was first on the scene, he took the lifeless hamster from Steven and laid him down by his cage. "What happened son," his father asks him. Steven says, "I just threw him and he died." "Can you show mommy how you threw him?" I asked, handing him an oven mitt. For some reason he thought that meant put the oven mitt on and pick up Hank and show us again how he was thrown. "No, pretend the oven mitt is Hank, and show me how you threw him." Steven throws it in the air and it hits the ground.

I am mad beyond belief, mostly at myself but I can't believe the condemnation I want to pull out. I am praying for Grace, forgiveness for my poor judgement, grace so I don't kill my son with tongue lashings. Justin is so wonderful. He looks at me and says, 'the most important thing is the boy.' I have to leave because I am so saddened at how upset I am and though it was mostly at myself, I wanted to take it out on my 3 year old.

Hank is moving now and seems to be stunned but okay, so Justin puts him in the cage and takes the boys to the couch. He talks about God giving us responsibility over the animals and how we are to take care of our pets. He talks about how big daddy is and how daddy is stronger than them and they are WAY stronger than Hank and about how they have to be gentle and kind. They pray for Hank to be healed and Steven prays, "God I am sorry I hurt Hank. I love you Jesus. Please heal Hank." Justin wraps up the prayer. I am in tears listening to my son who understands to be thankful for Jesus because he came here to release us from our transgressions and knows Jesus has the power to heal.

Steven knows first hand about Jesus's miraculous healing power, his fire ant bites went from 20 plus( I stopped counting at 20) to only 2 being found on his whole body at the hospital. We prayed from the moment I hung up the phone with my friend Kelly(whose son is very allergic to fire ants)until she arrived. I am confident that Jesus healed Steven's bites and I am thankful for his healing mercies.

The hamster is doing just fine. We are waiting a few days to handle him but it seems he was knocked unconsious. Every prayer Steven has asked for healing today, so I know it's on his heart. I pray that he knows Grace, AKA Jesus and walks with him. I am thankful for my wonderful husband and his loving way with the boys, I praise God for the balance he has provided me in my mate.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that Hank is ok! I will have to remember to teach Charlie about small pets someday soon. It would have never occured to me. The things our children teach us!!

    ReplyDelete