Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I propose a change...

Everyone one knows the song..."Go tell it on the mountain..." I believe we should change the words to sing, "Go show it on the mountain." If we don't live our lives to reflect the truths we profess to believe, our words will lack integrity and authenticity. Tricky deal, even when just playing mommy at home. I hope everyone appreciated the 'playing mommy', I am trying to think like Andrew as his way seems more fun. He is always so joyful. He wakes up wanting to 'play school'. I am glad they enjoy home preschool so much it is like play.

Who has done something messy and tactile stimulating with their kids this week? We made homemade noodles for the chicken noodles soup yesterday, that was fun. As I cleaned the dried putty, I mean dough, off the bathroom sink today I was smiling remembering the good time we had. I am noticing that when my kids are engrossed in an activity that is engaging their senses so vigorisly, they are so focused and can verbalize and cognitively reason through things. We did some role playing and I loved how while they worked their minds were processing and you could see them formulating their responses.

"What should you do if someone hits you?" Think. Think. Think. Steven's response: "It's not a good choice to hit Andrew." I try desperately not to laugh, as I muse that Andrew is the only 'someone' who would ever hit him. Andrew says, "It 's not nice to hit." Steven continues, "I would tell it hurts to hit and say sorry and forgive them." I say, "that sounds just like what Jesus says to do! You remember story about the man that wants your shirt, Jesus says give it to him, and," I am interrrupted by Andrew, "don't hit and turn the other cheek!" "That's right Andrew, you remember" and I finish the story. "Okay how about if you go outside and it's dark out, what can you do if you feel scared?" Steven says, "take a flash light." He is so serious, which makes it more fun trying to contain the laugh. "I am scared," Andrew interjects. "Remember Jew(This is how Steven said Andrew at 1, actually it was 'jew-jew')God is bigger and he says, I am with you ALWAYS," Andrew rushes in with"Matu 28sh:20." "Right and God is right here and we can always just talk to him and ask him to help us not be scared."

They are remembering what we have been talking about and I hope they see it in our walk as well. I have to admit somedays, I find myself confessing to Jesus that he may not have been seen at our house in the morning. We always talk about Him, but sometimes God's love isn't bubbling out and I am sure my kids are going, where is Jesus? It's humbling to have to admit that I am wrong and ask for forgiveness from my kids, and from the Lord but it feels good all at the same time.

My last note is about that go show it comment. If you are having to profess that you are a certain way more than you are actually showing it, you need to put the words into action. Doing what is comfortable for you and easy every week isn't showing much heart. Step out love someone, not by your words but by your actions! I like what 1 Peter 1:22 says, "Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply from the heart." Maybe it's teach a Sunday School class so the preschool coordinator can attend service? Maybe it's praying for and emailing that friend that you are sick of encouraging and who can't seem to stand on her own two feet? Maybe it's telling your wife she's about to do what she rants about everyweek?

No comments:

Post a Comment