Thursday, October 9, 2008

Do as I say, not as I do....

I think we've all seen and understood that phrase now in adulthood. You don't have to think very hard to find someone who contradicts themselves, in fact I may be my own worst witness. My buddy Peter heeds me that this morning:
1 Peter 3: 8-12 Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. 9Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10For,
"Whoever would love life and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from deceitful speech.
11He must turn from evil and do good;
he must seek peace and pursue it.
12For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their prayer,
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.
I like that is says seek and pursue, confirming that it won't always be easy and yes, you may even want to be evil but go and get the peace and don't look back, chase the peace. Again I am reminded how important it is to have some balance and that what I say isn't nearly as important as what I do. Words come easy and actions, well they take pursuit!

On a bit of a turn, this morning Andrew called to Justin as he and Frank were leaving, Justin came back in and Andrew says, "Don't forget your gwaffes daddy." "Thanks son, I don't need them this morning, I have my contacts in." "Oh, okay daddy." Can you believe at 2 he observed Justin wasn't wearing glasses? It was mind blowing and I had already been reflecting on the passage above this morning, I think how many times my kids have heard blessings and curses come out of my mouth and that should not be! (James 3:9-10) They observe so much more than I realize, and more and more I realize I dearly am in need of a savior.

We have been 'practice' camping in the back yard the past two nights. It has been fun. Dad had to bail on us last night as the declaration of night noises for an hour was more than he could bare and in his defense, he had to be at work functioning. I awoke before the boys today, which is not the norm. So I slipped in to the warm house, and started my quiet time with God and the sweetest memory unfolded before my eyes. It was just dawn, the sun is up and I hear my sweet boys talking and giggling, then the unZIP of the tent, and I look to see them coming, huge smiles and their headlamps, turned on of course, it was kind of dark. They were beaming with happiness and I melt in the emotion now as I type. Lord, let me remember this morning for forever.

I am so excited about camping this weekend. We are going with some friends, it will be a blast I am certain! On a side note, I never remember hurting from sleeping on the ground, I remember living for the summer to get here so I could backpack and now I am in pain and wondering why can't I remember the pain, so does extra weight make it that much worse? Was I always in pain, some of you have spent many a night camping/packing with me, did it hurt? Crazy!

Here are some new photos(Thanks Tanya Livingston for loaning me the card reader)




Steven and Hank the Amazing flying hamster.



DoodoodooDOOO! Introducing King Andrew!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you introduced the boys to camping and I'm so glad they love it. The pictures are great. I miss you guys so much! We need to get together and go on our own camping adventure!

    ReplyDelete